Houses and Farmsteads

The oldest part of the village includes properties to the north on Mask Lane, Derwent Cottage, Broomtree Cottage, Hall Farms, Ivy Cottage, Westfield House. Whatever existed in 1067 was probably destroyed with the 'harrying of the North'. The settlement would be re-built with timber, thatch and mud and it is not by random choice that the oldest cottages face south with kitchens and dairies to the north, pre-1755 map. It was only in the C17th that locally fired bricks would be used, though of those buildings, non remain. After the Enclosure award of 1767, outlying farmsteads were built ( Holly Farm, Carr Farm, Gale Farm, Cobb Flatts and many of the farm houses, which face the village street, re-placed any previous settlements,( Sycamore Farm, Whitlenads Farm, Ashville, Thornbush Farm, Penrose Farm). By the late C20th and early C21st all but one of the farm steads had been sold, some demolished, replaced and developed. Sometimes vernacular buildings have been renovated, providing housing, Ash Close, Newfold House, sometimes estates have evolved on the site of the demolished farm buildings, Village Farm Court, Horsley's Yard. Throughout the village there has been in-fill, The Bramleys, Tamarisk, Magnolia House.

Agricultural Cottages 1

Built in 1937 for farmworkers.

Agricultural Cottages 2

Ashclose

Ashville

Built circa 1770.

Blackburn's Cottage

Reuben King lived here.

Brierdene

Farm building became The Brambles.

Broomtree Cottage

Owned by Peter Pace.

Carr Farm

Carr Lane Farm (formerly White House Farm)

Carrier House

Once the village shop